happiness

LOVE has come for you.

Monday, December 8, 2008

dirty girl

our neighbors have flamingos year round.

I kept telling myself I'd be getting outside more when the snow came. Well, its here. I really needed to take my shower tonight. Sometimes when its a crazy day with the kids, I take a long hot shower in the evening to wash away the tensions. I can still hear them crying when I'm in there, but I try to turn off the Mommy will do it channel, so I can not only get clean, but relax. Tonight, as Dad was taking hold of both reigns, the driveway popped into my head. What if I go shovel to blow off some steam? Oh, it felt good to be outside. The world seems friendly and quiet when those fat flakes are dropping on my driveway and piling up on the car (we do have a garage, but that is to house only mice, rakes, the shovel, and mower). It feels fresh and it rejuvenates me. It was only 8 or maybe 11 minutes of shoveling before I heard Mr Theo bawling his eyes out. I was just getting into the rhythm of the scrape and toss when I felt the Mommy pull. I put on his snow pants, and the rest of his gear over his pajamas to bring him outside. He was no problem to have in the fluffy snow with me--it seems to be so exciting for him to be out after nightfall. He didn't last for the entire clearing of the drive, but he got some good fresh air and color in his cheeks. So did I. The shower will wait til morning. It'd be such a shame to wake the babes with my indulgent bathing at this hour. Habtamu showers about 5:30 every workday morning, which doesn't usually disturb their slumber, but this side of midnight is mine, and it isn't worth risking. Shower schmower.

8 comments:

Leanne said...

I can TOTALLY relate to this post. I love shoveling. And I don't even like winter. But something about moving around in that fresh air feels so good. Especially this lighter snow (wet March snow is so much more difficult to shovel). I went outside at 7 a.m. today so we could get out of the driveway to bring Cole to school. The baby wasn't even up yet. In the semi-darkness and the cold air, I found myself refreshed and restored. And sweaty. It was a good morning.

Thanks for your lovely blog entry.

Anonymous said...

it must be a mom thing....i also enjoy shovelling----snow, food, chocolate, you name it.
~ann b.

Jen H. said...

I like to shovel, and I also liked to mow the grass (before my husband sold the push mower and bought a riding mower...lazy!)

Anonymous said...

Funny, I like shoveling, too, but I rarely do it! We don't have much to do because our driveway is too long to shovel, so it's just a path to the vehicles.

I tagged you if you feel like playing!

MindiJo said...

I miss the snow. But I did tag you on my blog.

Joni said...

Shoveling is one reason why I love winter - and I especially like it at night. There is no better way to "shake it off", mowing does the same for me too (not at night). Getting out of the house, fresh air, ah. My husband hasn't found the joy in it yet, maybe because he hasn't had the chance...
Thanks for your crisp wintery sharing.

Elizabeth Halt said...

I shoveled once when I was in college and we had a snow day so I was home. It was so fun. Probably because I wasn't the one who had to shovel every.single.morning. :)

Anonymous said...

I love those fat, fluffy flakes coming down.....

I enjoy winter........ but, I don't have to remove the elements from the driveway. Unless I want to that is. If our truck was more dependable, I would consider doing it more.

Bette