happiness

LOVE has come for you.

Monday, September 1, 2008

Birds and the Beasts

Today we went to the Minnesota zoo in Apple Valley. It cost 33 dollars to get in(entance for 2 adults plus parking). I bought a Diet Coke for $2.50 because my Denny's breakfast (20 bucks) was giving me some kind of weird feeling in the belly section and I wanted the carbonation. And shared a two dollar sno cone with Theo and a little with his daddy. We were hungry again after making the loop through the zoo--we saw Japanese monkeys, moose, caribou, wolves, the bird show was great, horses, cows, goats, sheep, pigs, bison, camels, some kind of deer type things in with the camels, there was no dolphin show today, tiger, leopards, bears, groundhogs, salmon, i must be leaving a few out--so we thought we'd hit up the restaurant in the central plaza, but it was closed. We paused at the MOA for some food court delicacies. Mine cost $6.93; I don't know what Habtamu spent because we chose different counters for our dinner. (Theo and I really enjoyed the strawberry banana smoothie.) What a spendy day! It was our vacation at home because the place where we wanted to stay on the Lake would have cost 179 a night (2 nights) plus gas to Two Harbors and groceries (although most would have come out of the fridge and cupboard in our very own kitchen). My feet hurt. Before heading home we stopped in to see Habtamu's sister--I was so beat, I apologized as I stretched out on the love seat and excused myself from moving or thinking while we were there. I can only imagine what she thinks of her American in the family. We spent a big chunk o' cashola, I was terrible company at Auntie M's, and I had a fantastic day.

6 comments:

Heli said...

Sounds like a fun day!

Jan said...

Looks like a good vacation-probably not long enough, though, right? :) Although, I figure a vacation w/kids is not really a vacation, just a change of scenery.

Jan said...

Hey, has Habtamu seen this part of the state yet?

Elizabeth Halt said...

That sounds like a fun day. It is nice to take a "vacation at home" for a change, to do some of the things that you don't get to do on a regular basis.

ethiopifinn said...

It was a fun day. Sweaty and breezey and fun! I think I enjoyed the animals more that Habtamu or Theo. :) Yes, we did a drive by in 2006 when we went to Itasca. Loved it, but didn't get to camp last year. He was in Ethiopia tending to some family afairs. We look forward to seeing more of Minnesota. Maybe one more trip this year?

Laura said...

I swear, that cafeteria at the Zoo is never open!

Max had a birthday party there when he was three or five or twenty, I forget. Theo should have a shabang there one of these years!