happiness

LOVE has come for you.

Monday, June 1, 2009

O.L.

Last evening the power went out, prompting us to walk to the park. Not long after we arrived a young couple--late teens perhaps 20--took their perch on the jungle gym. They were literally entwined there at the top of the slides, completely visible to us. They were very cheesey in their canoodling demonstration--like a perkier Twilight kind of infatuation. I was thinking they must have recently made their relationship more/most physical, or had made the decision to take it to that level in the VERY near future. Theo couldn't play there because these hormones in adult-like bodies (not adult like in any other way, except her purse, waiting at the bottom of the slide, was really for an older than her person) were hogging the equipment. Our kids were on the swings, but when we had decided to leave due to the uncomfortable atmosphere, Theo through a doozey tantrum because he didn't get to play for long. Then I put on my O.L. hat (Old Lady) and yelled to the snoggers, "Don't you have a car you can make out in so our kid can play?" Seriously. I have this hard line when it comes to disfavourable behaviours. The couple dismounted. Theo played on the slides. Suvi tried the toddler slide again, but she's still not in control of her limbs enough to make it down without getting shoes hung up on slide sides. (My baby. sigh:)) We decided to head back home, Theo was again resisting. In a louder than necessary voice I asked, "Are you going to stay here with the Love Birds? You might put a damper on their plans." What? Who is this O.L. and where did she come from? I was hoping to myself that Theo's tantrum would provide them some insight into the future, if their touchy-feelies got any touchy-feelier. And I laughed as I thought of how it is to be freshly in love, and how any moment together is so intense and how old I was, still making out in cars. Way too old to be considered too young to care.
Muah!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha I love the story! I want to remind you that WE are not spring chickens anymore. We are now O.L.s!I hope the Love Birds found a new nest somewhere else! Nancy

ethiopifinn said...

Nan, and sometimes we might be heavy on the OLD! haha.

mella said...

Oh, this is simply de-lightful to read! Just what I needed tonight, thanks J.

I can just picture you... would never label you O.L., however... [guess 'cuz I'm older than you, ha ha :~)]

Love the injection of reality with Theo 'knocking on the slide', much as those two probably didn't want to see the gift that was being presented to them of their possible future in 9 or so months.

priceless.

Lorz said...

LOL! I thoroughly enjoyed that read! Thanks for the laughs!

Jan said...

haha! I had an O.L. moment (hour) this winter with some high schoolers hogging the shower at the motel pool. Gross. I told them next time they should get a room. And that they should disinfect the shower. And that they better not show up on Wednesdays 'cause thats when I am there to swim...and I can't remember what else I told them...old lady brains are good that way!
I loved your story. So glad you told them what you thought, too!

ethiopifinn said...

mel and laura, i know, right?! :)
jan--you crack me up!

Jen H. said...

I have to laugh, because the same thing happened just last week to us. Except that they were on the swings next to my kids who couldn't stop staring...so I had to move the kids elsewhere (luckily it was a big park)

emily said...

i don't remember this happening when we were kids except at valleyfair... remember trying not to look as you waited in line. early education. i find myself in an o.l. hat often!! maybe i was born in one! thanks for the laugh.

Anonymous said...

did you really say it out loud??
LOL!
~ann b.

Laura said...

I love that, "O.L. hat"! Mine is a permenant fixture on my head.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the story! :) I'm with you on the P.D.A. Take it somewhere else!!
Carol

Elizabeth Halt said...

ROFL

that was hilarious!

I have not had an O.L. moment yet, I don't think. [or maybe my O.L. memory allows me to forget quickly ;)

ethiopifinn said...

ann--you know I totally did!
jen, em, carol, laura--ridiculous, right! i'm still laughing (with some o.l. pride) at myself, and them!
e--you're too busy following atlas to notice such business :)

Anonymous said...

I read your story and laughed!!! Talk about PDA huh?

Bets