happiness

LOVE has come for you.

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Friday culture lesson

My Lover and I were out to dinner this fine evening... I just have to say that Will Ferrell is HYsterical in that sketch (with Rachel Dratch, Jimmy Fallon, and Drew Barrymore in a hot tub)from SNL.
Anyhoo, Habtamu has a friend in town from DC, a friend originally from Abyssinia, whom we haven't seen in 2 years. We are so happy he took a night away from his sister's house to spend time with us/hit the town with the Habster. He wanted to take us out for a meal, so we hit up the local Friday's. After we ordered the food, 'D' told me he wished he would have brought gifts for the kids, but since he hadn't found the time, he hoped we would especially enjoy the dinner as his gift. I was sandwiched between the seriously hungry/periodically bawling Theo and the hungry/extremely vocal Suvi (think "la, la, la, la, la Elmo's World" sung by a 17 month old at the top of her lungs {btw, the hostess asked H, "how old is she?" and his reply was "14 months." In my mind I was like, "um, what is this, May? that girl is NOT 14 months old."}).

The guys we sitting side by side opposite me and the noise machines. They were speaking Amharic most of the time, and it is so loud in those restaurants (do people really enjoy the music that loud?), that I was just trying to keep the kids entertained until our cuisine was served. Once the kids got some food, I relaxed and really enjoyed my---can you guess what was on my plate?--Cheesey bacon cheese burger and sipped down my diet Coke. Having properly packed my stomach, I was ready to get the kids home and leave the fellas to their catching up. {I adore seeing and hearing Habtamu laugh with his friends. It is great when I hear him bust out when he's on the phone, as most all of his friends are not living in MN, but to see him laugh that deepest, take over your face kind of laugh, oh it makes me happy! I experienced that kind of laugh myself recently and it feels just as good as it looks.}

D left the table for a moment so I asked Habtamu for clarity, "Did he say he is paying for our dinner?" Affirmative. Sweet! As the bill was delivered to the table, they were talking to each other, these hundred year friends, in Amharic, and Habtamu was reaching for his wallet. The full lean to one side, get that elbow up and hand nearing that back pocket move, as if he was really going to dole out some cash. We all knew perfectly well that D was going to treat us, but there is this necessary dance that just made me smile. I'm sure it is not just my man's culture that does the hesitant gift acceptance, probably most people do it, but it struck me funny to see them both going through the motions. I felt like I was watching some kind of documentary--wanting to say to my friend, "Look how they are interacting...I wish they were translating this part of the film. The guy on the right is really hot." Because that is really where I would go. All about the man candy. I digress...

I've received a lot of gifts lately. Newest to oldest they are: Dinner out, huge new tent, washing machine, dvd player in the living room and radio/cd player in the kitchen (+installation), spa gift certificate, balls for the kids, cast iron pan set. All in the last month or so. I didn't hesitate at all about accepting these gifts. I do feel humbled at the consideration and generosity of people in my life, and grateful for the people in which that kindness resides. Ain't it grand!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO fun for Habtamu to have a friend in town. I know he really enjoys that and in turn so do you :)

XOXOX
Deanna

Joni said...

So funny H. response to the waitress - there are so many times I look at my guy thinking - "what, am I sharing the same life with you? how could you come up with that answer?" Thanks for the colorful picture of your latest smiles.

mella said...

toot toot for the l-o-v-e train rolling on through!

and I see documentary filmmaker in your future too... your style/commentary with a dash of Woody Allen would be fantastic, no!?!

Anonymous said...

glad to see some things never change (re: cheeseburger)
~ ann b.

Elizabeth Halt said...

i love bacon cheeseburgers. i blame that line for distracting me .. ok, so i just had the best.veggie.sandwich.ever for dinner, but still - i do love bacon and cheese. not the burger so much, but bacon and cheese in a patty just isn't the same. unless maybe you could do a BLT with cheese. and avocado while we're at it. and maybe a bit of red onion.

maybe i am still hungry and don't realize it. hmmmmmm ..