happiness

LOVE has come for you.

Thursday, December 31, 2009

The sum of all parts is equal to...

I don't really think I am a sum it up kind of gal.  There is so much Work In Progress and Overflow that drawing lines around the year's events and eventuals doesn't quite happen.  I've been reading the posts about the end of this year, looking ahead to 2010...I like to get that synopsis of the lives that touch my life.  But I don't know how to do it for myself.
 At the clinic, when I bring the kids in for their wellness checks, describing my child in a few words is very hard.  It feels like school, and tests, and my brain rejects these concepts as a manner of measurement.  It was the same sort of philosophical difference that allowed me to walk away from several years of study at the University without a degree.  How does writing this paper truly prove or measure my understanding of these concepts, Scandinavian literature and culture?  It doesn't.  The paper only proves my skill in rewording a lot of books.  It just felt pointless.  (Oh, I was such a lovely angst ridden little party girl)  And an under-representation of myself.  Or at the clinic, the kids. 
  Clear cut and direct is how I prefer communication, although my personal lines are completely blurred and blended...
I'm just going to give it a shot anyhoo!

SOMETHING I LEARNED
I learned that I like control, and that I want to work on Forgiveness. 
SOMETHING THAT SURPRISED ME
I have been astonished at the generosity of others, and surprised by the people to whom I have become attached through the blogging world.  I just love learning about people.
SOMETHING THAT SCARED ME
The blog relationships scare me, because I doubt my conversation abilities and confidence for when I'll get to see some of those folks IRL.  And Peanuts scared the shit out of me.
SOMETHING THAT DELIGHTED ME
Seeing the changes in my children as they grow.  Sharing in my friends' celebrations!  Celebrating Habtamu's Naturalization was fantastic.  Achieving a new level of communication with my husband.  What?  You mean there is even more to love? Sweet!
SOMETHING TO KEEP WORKING ON
Acceptance.  Making time to read.  The Magnolia Ln Cookbook. Dave Ramseyfying our life :)


7 comments:

Julie said...

This made me happy. You have such a sweet, creative spirit.

That's neat about your husband. :)

I like control too much and I'm also fearful of peanuts. :P

MindiJo said...

See, now here you go. I made a list like this, but yours is better. Darn. Now I want to add to mine. Mine is just stuff. Yours is more meaningful.

Joni said...

You did a good job summing your year up, I totally enjoyed the post. Pictures, life according to facebook is great! Don't know how you did that...I enjoy the realness of you in your blog, I enjoy seeing you!

mella said...

Fun to read, Jen, glad you gave the summing up a shot. Love to hear about what's rolling around in your headball. I agree about the manner of measurement and also prefer the blended and blurred method!

ethiopifinn said...

thanks ladies!

and mindi, you are so competitive! haha. i kept looking over at yours to get ideas, so there.

joni, some other peeps did those photo collages and fb status deal on FB, I just clicked on the link and it does it for you. sweet.

Elizabeth Halt said...

I haven't exactly summed up my year on my blog, though I have done it on another blog. I never even finished that #best of thing. Oh well ..

I like your way of summing up the year.

If it helps, I have met people who I only knew online and each time, it was effortless. Really, it was like picking up with an old friend that I just hadn't "seen" in ages. Quite lovely.

I thought you meant Peanuts (as in Charlie Brown and co.) but I just realized what you really meant. They would be scary. I imagine it to be like my fear that I will die of raw meat germs because Atlas eats raw and I have to touch it with my hands many times a day .. only much much worse.

Anonymous said...

I smiled when I saw the Duluth trip. Good times.

-B